December RMES Community Newsletter

The holidays are a magical time, but Christmas traditions, decor, and celebrations can lead to accidents (or worse) if you're not careful. Here's how to keep your family safe and healthy through to the New Year.

1. Your tree is a fire risk — even if it's fake: While Christmas tree fires aren't super common in our area, when they do happen, they're likely to be serious.  So, keep your tree at least three feet away from all heat sources such as fireplaces, radiators, and heat vents. If you have a real tree, remember to keep it watered and use electric lights – not candles – to light it up.  Be sure to choose a sturdy stand so the tree won't tip over.

2. Don't overdo it on the lights: As much as you may want to cover every inch of your house with lights, you may have to scale back depending on your outlets. Check the packaging for the power output and never plug in more than what a power strip or outlet says it can handle. Use indoor lights, indoors.  Use outdoor lights, outside.  Be sure to unplug indoor lights when you leave the house. 

3. Candles are pretty, but they're still open flames: December is the peak time of year for candle-related house fires, according to the NFPA. Keep lit candles at least 12 inches away from surrounding objects. Trim wicks to a quarter of an inch before you light them and never leave lit candles unattended.

4. Never toss anything but logs into your fireplace: Don't try to burn evergreens or wreaths in a fireplace or wood stove. Tree needles burn much faster than logs, creating sparks, which can fly into the room or onto the roof. They can also cause a build-up of creosote, a highly flammable compound, in the chimney. Don't burn wrapping paper, because it can contain metallic materials that could be hazardous to breathe in.

Make sure the fire is out and the embers have cooled before you leave the house or go to bed. Put the ashes in a metal bin that's at least 25 feet away from the house. Have your chimney professionally serviced annually.

5. Watch the clutter: Extra decorations means more tripping hazards!

6. Festive favorites aren’t safe for everyone: Candy canes and candy can become a choking hazard for wee ones! Holiday cooking can contain allergens that aren’t safe for some in your cohort – be sure to ask about allergies.

7. Don’t forget the outside of your house: Keep your driveway and walkways clear of ice and snow.  Be mindful when decorating the exterior of your home to not impede access points for first responders – our gear takes up more room than you think.  Be extra careful as you're shoveling your property and pace yourself so you don’t tire yourself out. Wear proper boots with enough traction and “walk like a penguin” on slippery surfaces, taking small, slow steps.

8. Play safely: If you’re planning to enjoy some outdoor time, plan your trip for the conditions and your experience-level, wear the appropriate gear and tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll return.

On behalf of the members of Redwood Meadows Emergency Services and our families, we wish you a safe, happy, covid-aware holiday season and a happy new year!  If you need help, dial 9-11 (do not call the station as the phones aren’t manned) and we’ll be on our way to you as quickly as we can.

November RMES Community Newsletter

With daylight savings time ending, it’s a great time to check your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

  • Test your smoke and CO alarms monthly
  • Ensure everyone in the house knows what the alarms sound like and what to do when they hear it
  • Change the batteries every six months
  • Follow manual instructions for cleaning and maintaining the alarms 

What To Do If the Alarm Sounds

  1. Have an escape plan. Discuss and practice it.
  2. Always feel the door to see if it is hot before opening it to escape. If the doorknob is hot, don’t use that exit.  Use an alternate exit.
  3. Crawl on the floor. Smoke rises, so does the temperature. If you crawl on the floor, there will be less smoke and heat from the fire.
  4. Meet family members at a pre-arranged spot outside the home. 
  5. Call 9-1-1 from a neighbour’s home. 
  6. Never go inside (or return to) a burning building for any reason. 

You can protect your family from fires!

Here’s a fire safety checklist to reduce the chances a fire may start in your home:

  • Keep your furnace in good working order;
  • Use a fireplace screen;
  • Have proper ventilation for heaters and small appliances;
  • Don’t smoke in bed;
  • Close bedroom doors overnight;
  • Don’t use worn out electrical wiring or run it under rugs or out windows or doors; and
  • Clear away clutter!

Until next month, stay safe!

Call 9-1-1 for an emergency!

Please DO NOT call the fire station if you have an emergency. We are a volunteer service and there are not firefighters at the station 24/7. Call 9-1-1 if you have an emergency, PLEASE.

Lately we have had more instances of people calling the non-emergency phone number at the fire hall or even messaging us on social media to notify our members of the need for service.

We are a volunteer emergency service. Because of this, we do not guarantee that we will have members at the fire hall.

If you need fire department help, medical assistance or the police, please call 9-1-1. Professionals at our dispatch centre will ask a series of different questions, based on your concerns and dispatch YOUR responders appropriately.

RMES members are dispatched within seconds of your 9-1-1 call and will be on the the way to assist you in minutes.

Halloween Safe Sites

Your firefighters will be out in the community like previous years with some obvious changes to how we hand out treats. We will be wearing gloves and masks and will hand the goodies out ourselves instead of allowing little hands in the bowls.

For those wondering how to handle their own candy conundrum, the Provincial government has provided Albertans with some helpful posters to let trick-or-treaters know if residents are participating in Halloween activities this year (https://www.alberta.ca/halloween-during-covid19.aspx)!

Please feel free to print these pages off and post them in highly visible areas where trick-or-treaters might see them!

Fire Ban lifted for Redwood Meadows

The Fire Ban for Redwood Meadows has been lifted effective immediately.

Please remember that fire pits of any size require a permit from the town site. Permit application forms can be downloaded here.

Page 1 of 5

Fire Bans Rockyview County

Current Status: No Ban

As of May 12 @ 08:00

Rockyview County Website

Alberta Fire Bans Website

Station Tours

Did you know that we do station tours?

Check this page for more info.

call911

Breadcrumbs