Even though we’re moving out of the deep cold winter months, it’s still important to be mindful of fire safety!
Here are some important tips that can save you and your loved ones in case of fire.
1. Check your smoke and CO alarms: Working smoke detectors and CO alarms save lives. Test them at least twice per year. If battery powered, replace the batteries yearly. Smoke detectors and CO alarms expire after 10 years. Be sure to keep track of how old your alarm is and change it when needed.
2. Schedule a check-up for electrical wiring: Faulty electrical wiring can cause fire incidents. If you notice flickering light bulbs or sparking switches, have the lines checked by an expert as it might be time for replacement or repair.
Keep foot traffic away from electrical cords to avoid wiring damage and limit the use of extension cords as they may overheat the circuits. Large appliances such as refrigerators should have their own outlet.
3. Keep flammable items away from children: Candles, matches, lighters, butane and items alike should be stored away from children. Gasoline and gasoline fueled equipment should not be stored in the house.
4. Be alert in the kitchen: Stay mindful when cooking and don’t leave ovens, broilers, and stoves unattended. Keep towels or anything that can catch fire away from your stovetop. Always make sure the lid is available to cover the pan in case the pan catches fire.
5. Avoid smoking indoors: If you have a smoking room, place several deep and stable ashtrays on a sturdy surface. When emptying the ashtrays or throwing away cigarette butts and ashes, make sure that they have cooled and there are no remaining embers.
6. Keep emergency numbers visible and easily on hand: In addition to saving important emergency numbers on your phone, write them down and place them in a visible location in your home. Be sure to include your address and home phone number for visiting guests.
7. Create and practice a fire escape plan at home: A well-rehearsed emergency exit plan greatly alleviates panic during an emergency. It takes two minutes for your house to be filled with toxic fumes from a fire: “Get low and go” when making an exit. Practice feeling the door and walls using the back of your hand in case there is fire in the next room. Designate a person to get elderly and young children out safely. Pick a meeting place to assemble afterward.